Tuesday 29 July 2008

New scanner, very excited


My old scanner hasn't worked for months now and I have been copying certificates by photographing them, which just isn't as good as using a scanner, scanners are so nice and smooth and give nice clear copies. So I ordered a new one and its a little portable one, so in theory I can carry around with my laptop, which I probably won't do but I could if I wanted to.

Anyway as well as the scanner arriving today the will of Thomas Brown also arrived, he died on the 7 Feb 1889 and his will was drawn up on 14 April 1884, I have attached a copy.

It is really interesting as it confirms that daughter Isabella did marry Robert Park, Martha did marry James Batty and I presume the "son in law William Hayston of Borwick" is the William Haston husband of Margaret Agnes, who I believed died the year before Thomas drew up his will. Isn't it a good feeling when you receive a document that gives you so much information. There is a line on it that isn't very clear, it does mention daughter Ann and gives her married surname but because its been added in its difficult to read. If anybody has any ideas on what it says please let me know.

Right well I will go back to my scanning.

2 comments:

Hilary Gadsby said...

This sounds like a great investment its a real pain when you get shown photographs and you know they are probably the only copy and if you only had a scanner you could have a copy.
What make and model did you get?

Sharman said...

Hi,

I know I was thinking that I am due to go and see some distant relative soon who I believe has lots of photos for us to look at and was hoping he would let us borrow them to get copies, having this scanner would mean we wouldn't have to take the photos anywhere.

The model is
Genius ColorPage-SF600
I got it from Maplin and ordered it on line on Sunday night, it came in the post on Tuesday morning.

It was £69.99 but the fact that it is portable is such an advantage and I hope to get my money's worth out of it.

It is very lightweight as well, it looks like a laminator and you just slide the document/photo you want to copy through it like you something you were laminating.

I would recommend buying one.