Wednesday 23 July 2008

Kirby Lonsdale



After visiting the records office I decided to go to Kirby Lonsdale on my way home to see if I could find any of my ancestors in the graveyard at St Mary's. I had realised whilst I was in the records office that I had forgotten my camera, I am not blonde for nothing you know. But it was a beautiful day so thought I would go anyway to find it for future reference.

I am really glad I did as it was a beautiful day and at St Marys Church you can see "Ruskin's View" which I believe John Ruskin said was "one of the loveliest views in England" after seeing Turners painting of the scene.

http://www.thecumbriadirectory.com/People/John_Ruskin/John_Ruskin.php

I did have my mobile with me so I did take a picture of the church itself and a few of the view, will post them shortly.

Here are the pictures I took with my mobile



Anyway with not having the camera I decided not to wade through the long grass to find the graves I was looking for and will save that till next time I go.

The only other thing I want to say about Kirby Lonsdale is that it is a beautiful, peaceful little place and I am so proud my relatives lived in such a beautiful place and I will definitely be spending more time there.

No comments: