Saturday 2 August 2008

Celebration of Family History - Chorley

I went to the Celebration of Family History at Astley Hall at Chorley today, which was very interesting.

They have some really useful stalls there, including Preston Records Office so I asked the gentleman behind the stall about the Workhouse records, if you have read my previous posts you will already know about my hunt for further information on William Moon.

Anyway the man said that if it was Burnley Workhouse I had been interested in they would have been able to provide me with lots as they have all the records but they hardly have any for Preston, which is just sod's law isn't it. They only really have information on the workhouse itself no family records.

I also had a nice chat to a lady called Margaret Purcell who was from the Irish group of the LFHHS who gave me some really useful tips, and a list of good books, to help me get further on my Irish side of the family.

So watch this space I intend to do some more research on my Irish roots by the end of this year.

All in all it was a nice afternoon. Astley Hall is a lovely building and the staff were wandering around in Elizabethan costumes, which does add a nice touch.

http://www.ukattraction.com/north-west-england/astley-hall.htm

Am going to visit my uncle tomorrow to look at some family photos, taking my new scanner with me so hopefully will be able to scan them whilst I am there, see I knew the portable scanner would come in useful.

No comments: