Sunday 6 September 2009

Ulverston memorials

I recently went to Lancashire RO to carry on my search for Caddy's, I decided to do some research on Caddy's in Ulverston, again like Cartmel the majority of records are held at Kendal RO and the ones Lancs RO have don't really cover the years I was looking for. Anyway not to worry there are always lots of other ways of finding missing people.

I found a transcription of the memorial inscriptions at Ulverston, which out to be very useful. I knew one of the brothers of my John Caddy, Michael, had ended up in Ulverston from finding him on the census returns for 1841, 1851 and 1861 and it was great to find the following with with the memorial inscriptions.

In Memory of Michael Caddy of this town Joiner who departed this life 10 July 1868 aged 77 years. Also of Sarah wife of Michael Caddy who died 11 Jun 1862 aged 77 yrs. Also of Jonathan Caddy, Painter, their eldest son who died 30 Jan 1869 aged 50 yrs. Also of William Henry Caddy, Painter, son of the last named who died 5 Apr 1872 aged 25 yrs. Also of Mary Ann wife of the above Jonathan Caddy who died 23 Nov 1892 aged 75 yrs

This tallies with what I had found already regarding Michael, that he was a joiner and had married a Sarah and the childrens names are the same as the ones I found on the census.

I also found this regarding James Caddy who I believe is the brother of my great (x5) grandfather Jonathan Caddy


In memory of James Caddy late of Gill, Yeoman who departed this life 31 July 1834 aged 77 yrs. Also of Agnes his wife who died at Little Urswick 9 Jan 1823 aged 73. This monument is erected by their 3 surviving children Margaret dau of the above who died 24 Jul 1844 aged 62 yrs. The Rev Thomas Caddy incumbrent of Whitbeck, Cumberlaqnd son of the above who died 28 Sep 1842 aged 62 years, Roger James son in law of the above who died at St Johns Vicarage, Worcester 9 May 1854 aged 65 yrs. Agnes James relict of the last named who died at Kirkburn Vicarage 6 May 1875 aged 83 yrs.

So this now gives me a link to the Rev Thomas Caddy who died in Whitbeck.

So lots more people and things to look up, just wish I had more time to do it :o(






No comments: