Sunday 12 July 2009

Caddy's part 1

I have neglected this blog for far too long and need to try and make more of an effort to keep it up-to-date.

For the last couple of months I have been concentrating on my Caddy line, So far I have 3 generations of Caddy's starting with my 2x great grandmother Eleanor Caddy who was born in Barbon, Westmorland in 1864. Her father was John Caddy he was born in 1829 in Grange, Lancashire. From John's marriage certificate I found that his father was a Labourer and was also called John.

On the 1841 census I find John (c1829) living with his father John and other children Betsy, Ellen and William, As there are no relationships on the 1841 census I decided I need to check all these children to clarify whether or not they were all siblings. Further census returns for John say that he was born in Cartmel.

I did a search on the Lancs OPC website and found 3 baptisms at Cartmel St Mary & St Michael, one for Ellen baptised 24 Mar 1833 parents John and Elizabeth, one for a child called Henry baptised in 1851 who's parents were Jonathan and Agnes and William baptised 3 Dec 1837 who was the child of Margaret single woman.

The William born 1837 was a possible match for the William I found on the 1841 census, so now I need to find out who Margaret Caddy . Anyway I decided I need to find the baptism records for John, Betsy and now Margaret Caddy and as I live within 3 miles of the Lancashire RO I tried there first as they do have some of the parish records for Cartmel, although the majority of them are at Kendal RO.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that between 1815 and 1833 I found 8 children being born to John and Elizabeth Caddy, all baptised at St Mary and St Michaels in Cartmel. Alice 1815, Jonathan 1817, Margaret 1819, Anne 1823, James 1825, Betsey 1827, John 1829 and then Ellen 1833. If these are all my Caddys then the William Caddy born 1837 must be the child of Margaret 1819. I also looked through the burials and found John Caddy who died in 1867 aged 79 and Betsy 1838 aged 46 and Alice 1823 aged 7.

Once home I then looked for Margaret she married Thomas Gawith in 1841 and by the 1851 census son William is living with her and her husband in Dalton. I found the marriage record in the Lancs OPC website and this confirms that her father was John Caddy a Labourer.

The John and Elizabeth Caddy for all the above baptisms do seem to tally with each other, in that they all have them living in Grange and occupation is either Labourer/Farmer or Husbandman. I have looked for another John Caddy who this could be but he seems to be the only one suitable.

I still need to find the marriage of John and Elizabeth, which I think I am going to have to go to Kendal RO to find now.

Since finding the above I have been to Cartmel St Mary & St Michael to look for any gravestones that might shed more light on my Caddy's I will write off now and tell you about that soon.

No comments: